Meet Tom Dlugopolosky - Member of Skylight’s LGBT Resource Team
For Pride Month, we would like to introduce the different members of our LGBT Resource Team and find out why they are passionate about serving the LGBT community. Meet the third member of our team – Tom Dlugopolosky, Associate and Financial Planner in our Cleveland office (pictured opposite, right, attending Ta Da! event hosted in Skylight's penthouse).
1. What motivated you to specialise in LGBT financial planning?
I looked around and realized that I had a lot of friends within the LGBT community. I decided if I could specialize in working within the community I could do something I love to do with people I care about.
2. What’s the most common financial concern you hear from your LGBT clients (and what’s the reason for their concern)?
I would say trying to get themselves on the right track. It is difficult for everyone, but the community has a history of living more for today and letting tomorrow sort itself out. So, balancing those two things is a very serious discussion point I often have.
3. How do feel you can best serve your LGBT clients?
Being there. As with all clients, I’m there not only for their financial needs but I am there for them when things go wrong and when things go right. It can be as simple as answering a text message or it can be more thought out as marching in Pride.
4. Beyond financial planning, how do you integrate with and support the LGBT community and/or help in the fight for better understanding, inclusion and diversity?
I assist with college outreach through The North Coast Men’s Chorus, I have also attended multiple HRC and Equality Ohio events. But I would say the most important way I do is on a personal level. The day to day interactions I have with people have the most impact
5. Who in the LGBT community would you most like to meet – alive or dead (and why)?
Neil Patrick Harris. I think he’s wildly talented. And thinking back to his role as Doogie Howser, I identified deeply with that character.
If you would like to have our newsletter sent by email please subscribe below.